Friday, January 18, 2013

Seth's Birthday Dinner




This meal was one to write home about :)  It was fantastic!  I did spend all-day in the kitchen, but that included several interruptions with 3 small children, a dog, and homeschooling.  I hope you enjoy these and try some for yourself.  

The Menu:


Feta cheese stuffed mushrooms
Chipotle rubbed pork chop (really spicy! but we like it that way)
Creamy polenta (So creamy and rich it could have been dessert! Paired perfectly with the spicy meat)
Garlic green beans
Fresh sweet rolls
Ice cream sandwich fudge cake

The Recipes:


Mushrooms:

My Changes:
*Only roasted 2 heads of garlic
*Used 30 baby Portobello mushrooms
*Used 8oz feta cheese
*Used Oregano for the spice

Polenta:

My Changes:
*Doubled the recipe
*Did not use butter, or any substitutes, it was already creamy enough!
*Did not add the extra half and half at the end
*Only used 1/2 c. shredded cheese, for the doubled batch!  It was super creamy!
*Put it in the slow cooker on low for 2 hours and then "keep warm" for 4.  Still stirred it every 30 to 45 minutes.  Added water here and there to keep it from burning.

Pork:

My Changes:
*Used 11 pork chops
*Grilled them for 4 minutes on each side and then put the in the oven at 350, covered, for 10-15 more minutes.

Bread:

My Changes:
*Doubled the recipe
*Instead of putting dough into a loaf pan I formed small rolls
*Bake at 350 for 24 minutes, rotating pans half way through.

Cake:

My Changes:
*Used homemade fudge sauce
*Topped with crumbled heath bars

Hot Fudge:

My Changes:
*Used 2% milk instead of condensed milk

No comments: