1 - 3.5 to 4 lb. chicken cut up with bone and skin
2 stalks celery, halved
1 large onion, quartered
1 carrot, scraped and halved
1 turnip, peeled and halved
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
4 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
4 ounces medium egg noodles, uncooked
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, scraped and sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon tarragon
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a large Dutch oven, and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cook 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth; set chicken aside to cool slightly.
- Pour broth through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl; discard cooked vegetables. Remove and discard fat from broth; return broth to Dutch oven.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and far; drain and set aside.
- Skin and bone chicken; chop chicken meat, and set aside.
- Add chopped onion, sliced celery, and sliced carrot to chicken broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.\
- Stir in chopped chicken and noodles; add 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining ingredients. Cook until thoroughly heated. Yield 10 cups.
Source: Southern Living Cookbook 1995
Posted by Debi