Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Menu Planning Tips
I received these tips from the Busy-Moms-Tips that are sent to me from Yahoo Groups. You can sign up to receive these tips yourself, but you must have a Yahoo Account. Hopefully these tips will help us all in our desire to become better cooks for our families and friends. Enjoy!
• Variety - Plan several days or a week of meals at a time. This will help you avoid repeating foods too often.
• Color - Think about all the different colors of foods. Colorful meals are more appealing. For example, color in foods such as orange and green fruits and vegetables can indicate the presence of vitamin A.
• Texture - Include foods that are crunchy, chewy, and smooth. This will add interest to the meal.
• Aroma - Prepare foods that smell good. Baking bread, cooking with spices such as cinnamon, and sautéing onions are examples of aromas that will stimulate appetites.
• Portions - Serve portions that are inline with MyPyramid recommendations (www.mypyramid.gov).
• Arrangement - Pay attention to how food looks on the plate. It should look good, delicious and appealing.
• Choice – Select foods you know your family will eat and are within your budget. Don't be afraid to try new things.
Posted by Debi