Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hoppin' John

This has to be one of my absolute favorite recipes, but you have to like black-eyed peas. If you do, you'll love this! I give it a 5 star rating, but my kids vary in their opinion of it. I used to make this traditionally on New Year's Day, but when my family asked for another tradition, I succumbed. So, tonight I had New Year's in July! Heather actually liked it tonight and had me set some aside for her to take for lunch tomorrow. I think that rates as a 5 star for her too! Tom had seconds himself. I hope you enjoy it.

Difficulty: Moderate
Prep: 1 hour
Cook: Total of 2.5 hours
Serves: 10 - 12 (or 6 - 8 really hungry people)

2 c. dried black-eyed peas
1/2 lb. ham
2 qts. water
1 c. uncooked white rice
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped celery
2 t. butter or margarine
1/2 - 1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. sugar
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Sort and wash peas; place in a heavy saucepan. Cover with water, and bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let soak for 1 hour, drain.

Combine ham and 2 qts. water in a large dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add peas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes or until black-eyed peas are done. Remove ham; cut into small pieces. Stir ham into mixture.

Serve with hot, buttered corn bread and green salad. (NOTE: you can cut the ham up into bite-sized pieces at the beginning to omit doing this at the end.)

No comments: