Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Best Granola



There is nothing better than eating granola.  I love it as cereal, in yogurt or just grabbing by the handfuls.  The only depressing thing about it is the price, it is ridiculously EXPENSIVE!  So I have searched for the perfect homemade granola and I am happy to say, I have found it.  Actually, I didn't find it, my sister-in-law shared it with me.  And I am so happy to say this is my "it" recipe for granola.  It is cheap "ish", super easy to make and it makes a ton (16 cups to be exact).  Trust me, this is a recipe everyone should try.  You really cannot mess this one up.  Plus, there is plenty of room for creativity, which I love.  Enjoy!

10 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups raw sliced or roughly chopped almonds *TIP: I usually stock up when Publix does B1G1 free on Blue Diamond Almonds.  I get them natural, not roasted or salted.  Makes it only $3.36  for 12 oz!
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds 
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I like to add a little extra!)
1/2 t. kosher salt
3 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
3/4 cup grapeseed oil (you can use canola or coconut or even extra virgin olive oil!)
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 T. vanilla extract
1 1/2 t. almond extract (I didn't have this so I just added extra vanilla)


  • Preheat oven to 250.  Position racks to the top and bottom position.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Combine oats, all the seeds, the almonds, coconut and the spices in a large bowl.  Mix it up really good.  In a separate bowl whisk the oil, syrup, brown sugar and vanilla/almond extract together until well combined.  Pour this mixture over the oats and stir until everything is coated.
  • Spread out the granola onto your 2 baking sheets and place in the oven.  Set the timer for 30 minutes. Switch pans from top to bottom/ bottom to top and stir the granola around.  Do this 30 times for a total of 90 minutes.  
  • At the end of the 90 minutes your granola is technically "done".   However, you can leave it in the turned off oven for up to 6 hours for added crisp.  You will notice this granola is not clumpy like most store bought brands...but don't let that discourage you...it is still SO TASTY.  
TIPS:
*You can store it in an airtight container for 3 weeks or in the freezer for 6 months.  
*Add dried fruits to it once it has baked for added flavor and personalization
*Have fun with the seeds and nuts!  The sky is the limit to what you could add :)

Recipe adapted from: The Homemade Pantry
My changes are in italics





No comments: