1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter cut into cubes, chilled
4 - 6 Tablespoons ice water (more or less as needed)
3 large, not overly ripe, yellow peaches, pitted, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon almond paste (optional)
1 teaspoon butter
A sprinkling of coarse sugar
1. Make the crust dough. In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt, until well mixed. Add the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times. The butter should still be the size of peas in the mixture. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump. Turn out onto a clean surface. Use your clean hands to form into a disk. Do not over-knead. Work the dough only enough to bring it barely together into a disk. Sprinkle with a little four on all sides, wrap with plastic, and place into the refrigerator to chill for an hour.
2. Preheat the oven with the rack in the middle position to 425 F. Place the peach slices in a bowl and sprinkle with the flour and sugar. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle vanilla extract over the peaches.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg until smooth. Set aside.
4. On a lightly floured, clean, smooth surface, roll out the dough to about a 12 inch diameter. Gently lift up the rolled out dough and place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
5. If you are using almond paste (not necessary, but a nice addition if you have it), dot the middle 6-inch circle of the dough with the almond paste. (If you can spread it, great. Otherwise, just dot with little bits). Arrange the peach slices in an overlapping pattern in a single layer in the center of the dough, forming about a 7 or 8 inch circle. Dot with a little butter.
6. Fold the outer edges of the dough round over the filling, by about 2 inches all the way around, in an accordion fashion. Use a pastry brush to coat the exposed dough with an egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
7. Place in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet, over a rack for about 15 minutes.
Great served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Makes 8 Serving.
Posted by Debi (recipe from simplyrecipes.com)