Tom's grandmother was German and he remembers how much he enjoyed her Mustard Pickles. She had her own garden which made her recipe all the better. Every Christmas we could count on a package arriving with several jars of Mustard Pickle and Chili Sauce. Family recipes handed down from generation to generation are the best. (Sorry I don't have a photo yet. Hopefully I'll get one when I make the next batch).
- 4 quarts pickling cucumbers, washed and sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, washed, drained and chopped
- 1 quart small whole onions, washed and halved
- 6 sweet red bell peppers, washed, sliced in strips
Soak overnight in water with a handful of salt.
Drain. Add 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water and boil until tender. Drain. Make the Mustard Sauce as follows...
- 5 cups White Vinegar
- 5 cups Brown Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 1 cup flour made smooth with a little water
Cook until sauce thickens. Add Pickle Mixture to sauce. Bring to a boil and seal in sterilized mason jars.
Posted by Debi